Sunday, January 27, 2008

Non-Class Review: Immortal Iron Fist

It's worth mentioning that I'm biased. Being a white guy who knows martial arts myself, Iron Fist has been one of my favorite characters since I was little, when he showed up a grand total of once or twice a year if I was lucky. The writer of Immortal, Ed Brubaker, sums the appeal of the character up best in this three word idiom: Kung. Fu. Billionaire. He's a semi-powered Batman who actually knows how to enjoy himself, and has an automatic connection to both the world of big-time heroing, while maintaining his own mystical myth base.
It's this balance that keeps Immortal so interesting; the big stuff in post "Civil War" Marvel is there, but Iron Fist has his own issues to deal with that feel just as important. You get to see his old buddy Luke Cage and old nemesis Davos, but they feel more alive than those old 70's comics. Brubaker writes everyone as very real, interesting people living in a ridiculous superhero world. On top of that, David Aja provides art that has a tangible, visceral feel while not going too far into the recent "photo-realistic" trend. I would recommend this book to anyone who can keep an open mind about their superheroes.

NOTE: As with every book I review under "Non-Class," I can make this available to anyone willing to treat them like newborn infants. Also, if I don't have it in my room, you may have to wait a few weeks for me to get it from my home in NH.

No comments: